Camp Counselor FAQs

Now that I am hired, what should I do?

Once we have your signed contract we would ask that you go to our staff forms library and download all forms there. These forms will need to be completed and mailed to us by April 15, 2021. We must have a completed health form for all counselors! We also ask that you send a copy (on one sheet of paper) of your license and the front and back of your insurance card. All of this should be mailed in a large envelope to:

Camp Wayfarer
Attention: Director
P.O. Box 850
Flat Rock, NC 28731

Do I need lifeguard training before I come to camp?

While it is preferred that you have lifeguard training prior to coming to camp, we can make arrangements for you to become trained. If you need training you will need to arrive a few days early.

What kind of special training will I need before camp?

All we ask is that you train yourself to work hard and to be flexible. During your first week at camp, we will hold a variety of staff activities before the campers come. This week allows staff to get to know each other and to learn what it takes to become the best possible camp counselor.

Will I have access to the Internet?

Camp Wayfarer encourages you to keep up with family and friends via snail mail. We do have Wi-Fi in both the program office and lodge which you are welcome to use during your personal time.

Am I allowed to have a cell phone?

It’s fine for you to have a cell phone while at camp, so long as it does not interfere with your responsibilities. We ask that you only use your cell phone during your personal time. Also, please do not ever let campers have access to your phone. You must have a code on your phone while a counselor here at Wayfarer.

Can I have visitors?

While we would love to meet your friends, this is a workplace. They are welcome to come pick you up during days off, but please don’t ask if they may stay on campus. Simply put, it just isn’t possible.

What should I bring to camp?

Before staff training, we will email you a packing list of the essentials you will need for camp. In addition to this list, you may want to bring a throw rug, egg crate and plastic drawers to make your cabin feel more like home. Please make sure that any posters, pictures, or photographs are appropriate to the setting of our camp.

What if I need to run into town to get a necessary item or run an errand?

Depending on your cabin situation, you will have two hours every other night in addition to your time off to take care of personal business. You may use this time to do laundry, watch a movie, just hang out, get a pizza or go to Wal-Mart. Just make sure you are back by the curfew.

What if I need to go to a wedding or special family function while I am at camp?

Any extraordinary leaves of absence must be discussed with the directors before camp begins. We try our very best to work with all counselors to meet their special needs but we cannot let undue absences affect the overall program.

Do I need to have insurance?

Yes! It is your responsibility to take care of any medical/hospital expense beyond what our infirmary can handle. When properly documented, work-related accidents are covered by Worker’s Compensation.

Will I receive a higher salary if I have specific certifications?

Yes. We encourage counselors to get any appropriate certifications by national training agencies.

Camp Wayfarer counselors must love being with children, be enthusiastic about life, and thrive in a fun, uplifting community environment.

Available Positions
Apply Now